S390G Google Map & Voice

S390G Google Map & Voice

Postby Westervelt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:36 pm

I bought the Samsung S390G form HSN I was under the impression that it had Google map and voice recognition. I did not find the Google map and the voice as far as I see you have to go to tools and then it is okay. I thought there would be a key or a button you could press that would make it ease. I downloaded the manual and don't see any key just to prompt the voice. Unless I am missing something. Thanks
Westervelt

Re: S390G Google Map & Voice

Postby ST Dog » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:29 pm

I haven't seen the video, but it could just be the Google Maps website.
It could be the Google Maps App, which you can download from Google
http://m.google.com/ and select Maps to get download page.
(For some reason I can't get the signed version now...)

You can put 12 item in the "Go to" menu (the button with the envelope next to the right alt key).
If you put Voice Service as the first one, that gives easy access (so do 3, 6, and 9)

First press the button, scroll up and down to see what's there by default.
Highlight an entry and press options.
Then you can change or delete entries (no duplicates so delete first if you want to move)
If it's "Empty" then you chose Define.

Scroll through the menus to the one you want (Tools, select More, Voice Services, select Assign)

Once assigned, from the home screen hit the key with the envelope. Then select the one you want.
It chooses #1 first. you can press the return key (near the envelope key) to select it quickly.

Or, press the number for the entry (1 through 0 anyway, 0=10). The 3, 67, and 9 keys are close to the envelope key and easy to reach.
ST Dog

Postby tyke » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:36 pm

Good info ST Dog.
tyke

Postby tyke » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:39 pm

Westervelt wrote:I bought the Samsung S390G form HSN I was under the impression that it had Google map and voice recognition. I did not find the Google map and the voice as far as I see you have to go to tools and then it is okay. I thought there would be a key or a button you could press that would make it ease. I downloaded the manual and don't see any key just to prompt the voice. Unless I am missing something. Thanks

Do you suppose that on the HSN video, that they brought up Google from the Browser then went to maps on google?
tyke

Postby ST Dog » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:05 pm

tyke wrote:Do you suppose that on the HSN video, that they brought up Google from the Browser then went to maps on google?

Watched the video. Looks like the Google Maps app.
You have to download that.

On the phone, go to m.google.com/maps

Problem is, the current version isn't signed.
So it constantly asks for permission to access the network.

I had an older version that that was signed on my LG500G, but the data speed was too slow to be usable.
The new phone is great as far as data speed, but I can't find a signed version of the app.
ST Dog

Postby Jessica » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks for the tips, ST Dog. :)
Jessica

Postby Spryfly » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:59 pm

Incredible tips dog, thank you.... Now if only I could find a signed google map....!
Spryfly

Postby ST Dog » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:50 pm

OK, I found the signed JAD.

To get it I changed the user agent on my PC browser to match the phone.
Then went to m.google.com/maps/download.
On that page copy the link at the end of the line that reads
"If the download doesn't start in a few seconds please select this link."
Past it in the address bar, and ass "&signed=1" at the end
It'll look something like
Code: Select all
http://m.google.com/maps/download/maps.jad?session=32150421625&dc=gorganic&ver=2.3.2&signed=1

(the numbers after session change)

Then copy that. Go to tiuny url and get a short link you can type into the phone.
Start the browser, Option->Enter URL (#6)
Type in the short URL.

That will get the signed version.

You probably will have to use the cell network to download the app.
I can't get signed apps to download over wi-fi (unsigned app download fine)
Same with downloading on my PC and copying to the phone. It won't install a signed app that way.
(no problem with unsigned apps)

The GMaps app will work over wi-fi once installed.
ST Dog

Postby tyke » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:17 am

8-) @ ST Dog
tyke

Postby Spryfly » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:56 pm

ST Dog, once again you're a hero, actually I just typed in the address up to the " =" into the URL in the browser, and it somehow got to the download google map area, and it somehow just downloaded the map! So I don't even really know how I did it, but it worked! Yay!

I have to say, for an inexpensive phone like this to have wifi, voice (which I created that great shortcut for, thank you ST Dog for that golden tip!) and google maps, its impressing me and all my friends. Oh sure, I wish the phone also had an amazing huge screen, but I have gotten used to the keyboard which is a great for sending texts and an improvement over trying to type a long text over the touchscreen LG 800g (which I have to say, is a great little phone with its own cool tricks- tracfone really has picked good phones with solid features all around!)
Spryfly

Next

Return to Samsung