SGH-S390G With Samsung PC Studio??

SGH-S390G With Samsung PC Studio??

Postby tyke » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:21 am

Has anyone withan SGH-S390G been able to connect to the PC Studio via bluetooth? I've been trying for a few days now with not much luck. I first pair my fone with my usb BlueTooth Dongle, using broadcomm/Widcomm BT stack. I can connect to it pretty well but sometimes not so well.

The thing with the PC Studio is when you try to pair it and your phone it asks for a passkey(it usually shows one BUT its not the one used to pair the fone to the bt dongle. Even if I try to change the passkey code to the one that was shown to pair to the BT Dongle, and enter it in PC Studio when it asks, it does not auhtorize the fog ne and thus does not get paired.

PS Studio has 3 optione to connect to it, 1-Bluetooth, 2 Infrared, 3 USB. Since so far connecting by BT has not been working I want to try it via usb.
Any input appreciated.

TYkE
tyke

Re: SGH-S390G With Samsung PC Studio??

Postby ST Dog » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:51 pm

Which version of PC Studio did you try?

The USB drivers in 7.2.24.9 don't work with the phone.
The USB drivers in 3.22 appear to work, but 3.22 won't connect to the phone either.

Not sure what drivers are needed or where to get them, or what version of PC Studio to use.

Samsung won't offer any help for TracFone devices.
And TracFone historically has not supported connecting to PCs.
ST Dog

Postby tyke » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Yes it was v7.2.24.9.
I have not tried USB yet cuz waiting on my data cable to arrive. Anyways using bluetooth is seems like it want to work but I cannot get past the Authentication code. PC studio shows 123 as the code and my phone shows a different one generated from my computer. Even if I enter that code from my phone in the authentication box it still will not work.

I know you are very smartphone literate. In the manual on page 111 is sez this:

Configuring Your Phone’s USB Settings
This menu selects the method of communication for the USB port.
Note: Disable the Bluetooth feature before initiating a USB connection with the phone. Prior to
connecting the USB cable to the phone, install the latest version of the PC Studio application.
This application installs the necessary USB drivers onto your machine. For a free download
of PC Studio, goto samsung website.

So it seems it should work. Would be nice. PC studio has a lot of good things in it.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be trying again when my usb cable comes. If I find anything out I'll post it here.
tyke

Postby tyke » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:11 pm

I tried for hours with different versions and NO GO. Its a real bummer since:
1) its talked about in the manual page 111
2) PC Studio is an Option in the USB options

I hope to find a good alternative to PC Studio. I really liked PC Studios functions.

At the Samsung community someone asks why it don't work and samsung replied they don't support Tracfones???????????? Strange cuz my tracfone says SAMSUNG on it. So who does support it? I'm upset with Samsung. I feel we are cheated out of some of the functionabiliy that we paid for by them not letting PC Studio work on the Tracfone model. What sense does this make?? Whats the reason?
tyke

Postby ST Dog » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:59 pm

tyke wrote:I tried for hours with different versions and NO GO. Its a real bummer since:
1) its talked about in the manual page 111

The Service Guide that came with the phone is the official documentation.
I think the tutorial is official as well http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracfone/home.seam?locale=en_US&deviceId=854&cid=1455877

Anything else is not.

2) PC Studio is an Option in the USB options

The S390G is a derivative of another Samsung phone but with custom software.
A lost of functions get modified /deleted/disabled. This isn't the first time the OEM documentation mentions features that the TF version doesn't support.

So who does support it? I'm upset with Samsung.

TracFone is the sole support. It's in the contract between TF and Samsung.

Not that unusual. Most cell phones that are locked to a single carrier are like that.
It's getting better. The OEMs are starting to support some devices themselves. But, the more customized it is for the carrier, the less you'll get from the OEM.

I have a Motorola router that I got from AT&T (swapped for my broken 2Wire).
Well, Motorola says contact AT&T for support. I'm no longer an AT&T customer, so AT&T won't support it either.

I feel we are cheated out of some of the functionabiliy that we paid for by them not letting PC Studio work on the Tracfone model. What sense does this make?? Whats the reason?

You can feel that way, but you didn't buy it from Samsung. You bought it from TracFone based on the features they advertized (probably through a 3rd party like HSN, still it was clearly marked TF). PC Studio isn't one of them.

I don't like it either. And I suspect with some work PC Studio can be made to function.
I recall some tricks on earlier TFs that allowed it. (The T301 as I recall)
ST Dog

Postby tyke » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:27 pm

Thanks ST Dog.

Though I didn't buy my Samsung DVD from Samsung nor my Samsung TV. I was able to register it at the Samsung Website and they also show this phone in their listings of phones. I won't be buying any other Samsung products.
tyke

Postby ST Dog » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:53 pm

Just telling you the way it is.

I don't like it either, but you'll get the same with any of the TracFone phones.
Samsung, LG, Motorola, or Nokia. They all refere you to TF for support.

Like I said it was like that for all carriers for a long time. It's the contract that the OEM and the carrier have.

As for the DVD or TV, they weren't rebranded by the store you bought them from either.
(note the TracFone logo on the front of the phone?)
Was it in special packaging for that store?
When you turn it on you don't see the store logo on the screen do you?

As far as Samsung is concerned they sold the phone as a white-box, OEM version. Then tracfone, became responsible for the support.

I have lots pof computer components like that. The white-box (OEM) version is cheaper that the retail packaged version. You don't get all the extras that way though, and tech support fom the manufacturer is one of those extras.

Got a Dell or Gateway computer, with a Maxtor or Segate hard drive?
Don't call Maxtor or Segate for help. You have to go to Dell or Gateway.
Now, if you go by a retail packaged drive (like at Wal-Mart/Target), then you can get support from Maxtor or Segate.
ST Dog

Postby tyke » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:22 pm

I understand you ST Dog. But even so my Samsung DVD and TV do everything thats printed in the manaul unlike the PC Studio part in the S390g manual.
tyke

Postby ST Dog » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:14 pm

I don't remember anything in the documentation that came with the phone that mentions PC Studio.

The Manual you can get online from Samsung is not official documentation as far as TF is concerned.
Historically the OEM manual mention features that TF disabled.
I'd have to go back, but I recall even the LG500G manual from LG mentions stuff the TF doesn't have.

Often the manual has a disclaimer, saying that features depend on carrier.

Other times it's not there, but you know the manual is wrong.
(Like the note about moving a SIM card to another phone on page 42 and 57 since you cant move sSIM cards between Tracfones)
ST Dog

Postby tyke » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:12 am

The documentation that speaks of it(PC Studio) is the downloadable user manual for the Tracfone SGH_s390G at the Samsung Website downloads for this phone made available by Samsung.

Oh well, why beat a dead horse. We can't get it so thats that.
tyke

Next

Return to Samsung