S390G - Wi-Fi calling and Apps?

S390G - Wi-Fi calling and Apps?

Postby MilesFrancis » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:38 pm

It was advertised on HSN that my phone would be app compatible and that I could make Wi-Fi calls with the phone to avoid minute usage.
When I go to the online shop, I do not see any apps, only graphics and ringtones.
How do I activate wi-fi calling and download apps onto this phone?
MilesFrancis

Re: S390G - Wi-Fi calling and Apps?

Postby Spryfly » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:48 pm

I got the same phone through the same presentations at HSN, and I just remember them saying that it had wifi enabling so that you could check your email and use the internet via wifi for "free" (at whatever cost the wifi that you're tapped into is to you,) etc. At no point do I remember them saying that you could 'call for free over the wifi'. There were many presentations throughout the day, perhaps some presenter not knowing any better slipped up a bit. I can't imagine HSN or tracfone would even allow a statement like that out, because tracfone exists to sell minutes to talk to its customers. In other words: if the app existed, I don't think they would promote it.

There are apps for iphones, ipods, ipads, etc., that allow a user to make a phone call or text over wifi, such as Talkatone (I use that one,) but I have not checked if any apps are available for our types of phones. It would be great to find an app to allow talking and texting over wifi via the Tracfone, but I'm not sure if it even exists...
Spryfly

Postby ST Dog » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:08 pm

Wi-fi calls were covered by Spryfly.

Nimbuzz might work,
http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/Inter ... 3363.shtml

But TF has historically limited what phone functions apps can access.
For example apps can't get to the filesystem or the camera, so no Qr-code readers.

MilesFrancis wrote:When I go to the online shop, I do not see any apps, only graphics and ringtones.
and download apps onto this phone?

Go to a site other then the TracFone store.
The phone uses Java apps, distributed in JAR fixes (often with a second file that is used to sign them, a JAD file)

2 popular sites are getjar.com and mobilerated.com

Also some web sites distribute their own apps, like Google, Opera, and facebook.
ST Dog

Postby Spryfly » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:47 pm

Thank you AGAIN ST Dog, I was wondering if there was a QR code reader...! Explains a lot...
Spryfly

Postby Barb9931 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:03 pm

I just bought this Samsung S390G from HSN.It said free wifi at home or where ever you can get free wifi.It will not connect at all.I have my laptop and my kids have all their ds and wii connected to my wifi.Im wishing I never bought this phone.Does anyone know what I can do? Im wasting all my mins using the browser cause it will not connect to any wifi anywhere.
Barb9931

Postby ST Dog » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:36 pm

Spryfly wrote:Thank you AGAIN ST Dog, I was wondering if there was a QR code reader...! Explains a lot...

There is a solution. http://snapmyinfo.com/
Send a photo to x@snpmy.com and they will send back a message with it decoded.
If wi-fi is working, you can use email and do it free.

It's a bit pricy to do it over the cell network with the S390G right now.
If they fix the data chgarges it wouldn't be too bad.
ST Dog

Return to Samsung