Phone can still pocket dial 911 with a locked keypad.

Phone can still pocket dial 911 with a locked keypad.

Postby karl4242 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:40 am

My phone model is the Samsung T404G. My problem is that even when the keypad is locked, if the numbers "9-1-1" are pressed while in my pocket it then displays a message that reads "Call SOS?" At that point the option "Yes" is displayed above the left soft key and the option "No" is displayed above the right soft key. If the left soft key is pressed the phone calls the emergency services. All of this takes place while the keypad is locked.

I read the instruction manual, which did not offer a solution. Then, I spent two hours talking to a customer service representative who had to talk to her supervisor twice and spent a large amount of time flipping through a manual. A few things were suggested to me. First, she made sure I was locking the keypad correctly by going through it step by step and I was indeed locking it correctly. Then she asked if "9-1-1" was set to my speed dial and it most certainly was not. Lastly, she suggested that I try locking my phone. I asked if this was different than locking my keypad and she said "yes." I followed the steps of Settings>Phone Settings>Security>Lock Phone> Enable>Set and Confirm Pin. After it was locked my phone was still able to dial 911 while the keypad was locked. It was even able to "dial-out" as she called it, while locked. I asked if I was supposed to be able to make normal calls when my phone was locked. She said "No." I told her I was clearly able to make calls because I made a call to my home phone with my cell phone.

It was at this point that she finally said that I could receive a new phone that would be the same exact model and I would send the phone that I currently have back. The date I called customer service was 8/14/2012. I received my new phone and am very distraught to find out that this new phone has the same exact problem. I have not activated my new replacement phone yet, but I am able to lock the keypad and dial "9-1-1" while it is locked. The point of locking the keypad is to prevent the phone from dialing while it is in my pocket and it is clearly able to do so. If there is a solution I will gladly ship back the newer phone and keep my old one, but if this is a defect found in all phones of this model I find it extremely unfair for me to have to pay for a new phone model.

The reason I am going through such great lengths to solve this problem is that my phone has dialed "9-1-1" in my pocket and I have had to explain to the police that I did not do this on purpose. This was the only time so far when my phone actually sent the call, but I have pulled the phone from my pocket with the "Call SOS?" message displayed more than a few times.

There is a single other post on the forums that matched my phone model and problem description if it would be of any help:http://www.tracfoneforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6179&t=165037&p=376103&hilit=T404G+911#p376103

Thank you very much for your time and I would be extremely appreciative of a solution because my family and I have been TracFone customers since 2002 and have been more than happy with our service until now.
karl4242

Re: Phone can still pocket dial 911 with a locked keypad.

Postby TracFone - Jhonally » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:25 am

Hi karl4242. My name is TracFone Jhonally. Sorry that you’re having a problem. I’m going to try to help you now. We need to take this issue offline so I can address it further. I will contact you directly with a private message and you will receive confirmation of this at the email address you provided when you signed up for this forum. Thank you.
TracFone - Jhonally
TracFone - Jhonally

Re: Phone can still pocket dial 911 with a locked keypad.

Postby ST Dog » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:58 pm

It's a feature of the phone (most cell phones in fact).
Just like a phone that's not currently activates/has no minutes can be used to call 911.

If it's an emergency do you really want to have to remember how to unlock the phone?
Or you're injured/incapacitated and someone picks up your phone to call. Do they know how to unlock the phone? You want hem to not be able to call?
ST Dog

Return to Samsung