how to set up wi-fi on Samsung S390G

how to set up wi-fi on Samsung S390G

Postby JEWELLB » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:21 pm

can you send me step by step instructions on what settings I need? I can not get my wi-fi to connect with my network. thanks
JEWELLB

Re: how to set up wi-fi on Samsung S390G

Postby TracFone - Jhonally » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:10 am

Hi JEWELLB. My name is TracFone Jhonally. Sorry that you’re having a problem. I’m going to try to help you now. We need to take this issue offline so I can address it further. I will contact you directly with a private message and you will receive confirmation of this at the email address you provided when you signed up for this forum. Thank you.
TracFone - Jhonally
TracFone - Jhonally

Postby jlamia » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:15 am

WI-FI will NOT connect with this phone. Why are there no step - by - step instructions in the 'Services Guide' or on-line instructions ? This is very - very frustrating.
jlamia

Postby TracFone - Maria » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi jlamia. My name is TracFone Maria. Sorry that you’re having a problem. I’m going to try to help you now. We need to take this issue offline so I can address it further. I will contact you directly with a private message. Thanks.
TracFone - Maria

Postby ST Dog » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm

jlamia wrote:WI-FI will NOT connect with this phone. Why are there no step - by - step instructions in the 'Services Guide' or on-line instructions ? This is very - very frustrating.

It will connect. I do it all the time and at a dozen different locations.
It'd be easier to help you if you actual mention what the problem was (error messages?) and even what steps you have taken.

No instructions because 1) there are next to no instructions for the phone at all (or any other TF for that matter), and 2) it is generally simple enough to not need any.
(FWIW, neither my Android tablet nor my wife's Kindle came with instructions for connecting to wi-fi either. I also don't recall any instruction book for Windows.

I've connected to open, WEP, and WPA networks, including hidden SSIDs, with no need for instructions.

Turn on wi-fi, it searched for networks and displays a list. Highlight one and click the center button. If it needs a key/password, the phone brings up the list of settings, scroll down to password, enter the network key, then save the settings, and it connects (it remembers the settings so you don't have to enter the key every time).

The wi-fi icon at the top of the display will turn green showing a connection and the signal strength.
If it's blue (or turns blue) you lost the connection and you have to reconnect.
ST Dog

Postby JEWELLB » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:12 pm

do I select auth type WPA, WPA 2 OR OPEN OR SHARED KEY? what does these mean? what do I select for encryption type? TKIP OR AES?

When I try to connect to my network is just disconnects. gives message authentication failed.
Still no feedback from TRACFONE on this.
JEWELLB

Postby ST Dog » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:12 pm

JEWELLB wrote:do I select auth type WPA, WPA 2 OR OPEN OR SHARED KEY? what does these mean? what do I select for encryption type? TKIP OR AES?

That depends on the network. Check the router settings and see what it's set for.
Really, it could be any combination. That said, the phone has done a good job of picking the settings for me.
But, in a few cases you might need to adjust something.

WEP (the phone calls it shared key), WPS, and WPA2 are different encryption methods used for wi-fi (IEEE 802.11)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

AES and TKIP relate to how the data is encrypted too. AES being beter than TKIP (which was a interim solution to stay compatible existing WEP hardware)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_Key_Integrity_Protocol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard

Probably more than you wanted to know.
Open is not secure at all. Generally used for public access (hotels, resturants, books stores, etc).
WEP is extremely insecure. You should not use it unless you must (old devices that only work with WEP, like the Nintendo DS)
WPA was an interim solution that went with TKIP for hardware compatibility. Better than WEP, but considered deprecated.

WPA2 with AES is the most secure option available and what I would recommend.
Also, turn off WPS in the router as it's very insecure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

JEWELLB wrote:When I try to connect to my network is just disconnects. gives message authentication failed.
Still no feedback from TRACFONE on this.

That implies something is misconfiguration.
I would reset everything as follows:
1) on the phone wi-fi page, highlight the SSID, then Options->delete.
2) while the phone is on, pull the battery out, wait a minute or two, then replace it and turn it back on.
3) unplug the router, wait a a minute or two, then plug it back in.
4) on the phone turn on wi-fi, lets it find the SSID, then connect, give it the key (password), save, and it should connect.

2 and 3 for both devices to reboot and not save any current state info which might be corrupt.

I had to do 1 & 2 yesterday on my mother's router before it would connect again.
I've only had to do that for a few networks and not all the time. Always it's for a network that was working then won't connect.
ST Dog

Return to Samsung