Dials 911 with Keypad Locked

Dials 911 with Keypad Locked

Postby ArizonaArtist » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:07 pm

The Samsung S390G tracfone, and apparently ALL tracfones, dial 911 if the keyboard is pressed EVEN WITH THE KEYBOARD LOCKED. The tracfone support staff denies this. I've had 4 or five conversations with them, and each person said this can't happen, BUT IT DOES.

I bought this phone in early September, am not a heavy cell phone user, but it has happened to me at least 4 times, carrying the phone in my purse with the keyboard LOCKED. The last time, a few days ago, the Tucson Police Department called when I was out shopping, and when I told them I had not called 911, they told me in no uncertain terms to "set your phone so that it cannot dial 911 accidentally".

Unfortunately, this is considered to be a "feature" for tracfones, and CANNOT BE DISABLED.

Also unfortunately, I've looked all over the internet trying to find a hard case for this phone, but apparently no one makes one that fits this particular model. Without a hard case, I am afraid to carry the phone now turned on, EVEN WITH THE KEYBOARD LOCKED, because I don't want it dialing 911 accidentally. One time this happened when all I did was lay my purse on the car seat.

I wanted to exchange this Samsung for the LG800G (which I know I can find a hard case for), but Tracfone will not do this since technically the Samsung is not defective. Useless, but not defective. If you are thinking about buying this phone, be aware that it's risky carrying it in a purse or pocket, and no hard case is available for it that would protect the keyboard from accidental pressure.
ArizonaArtist

Re: Dials 911 with Keypad Locked

Postby vpop » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:34 pm

I had the same problem repeatedly, same response from tracfone: denial. However I did find a couple of hard cases (leather) on Amazon, I now have it on my belt and have had no problem. I would think it would work in a purse, a little bulky, but better than calling the police all the time.
vpop

Postby Wingnut » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:18 pm

I have to get my post count up.

This sounds like something fun to look forward to.
Wingnut

Postby MissInterested » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 am

It DOES happen. I've had it happen twice. The second time was yesterday. Imagine my shock, surprise and embarassment when I recieve a call asking if I am okay. Tracphone/Samsung must address this. It is a serious issue.
MissInterested

Postby Jessica » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:29 am

Hi MissInterested. Your concern has already been addressed. Thank you for your patience. Should you have any concerns with your TracFone service, please let us know. Thank you.
Jessica

Postby ddub » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:29 pm

So what do I do to make this stop?
ddub

Postby Jessica » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:00 pm

Good day, ddub. We’re sorry for the trouble. My name is Jessica TracFone and I’ll be addressing your concern. We need to take this issue offline so I can address it further. I will contact you directly with a private message. Thank you.
Jessica

Postby CK99 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:54 am

I own a T105G and I too have pocket dialed 911 at least 10 times over the past year. They call me back to see if i am ok and i explain that my keyboard is locked but must be pocket dialing them. So far they are nice about it but i feel really helpless and embarrassed...

I am ready to switch to a flip phone that has the keyboard inaccessible and does not pocket dial by bumping the side buttons either...

I have 2 questions:

1) what small/cheap flip phone model has the side buttons disabled when the keyboard is locked?

2) what is best procedure for transferring my #, days, and minutes from the old phone to a new one that has the same phone number i currently have? (looks like swapping SIM cards in not the best way...)

Thanks,
CK99

Postby Jessica » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Good day, CK99. My name is Jessica TracFone and I'll be addressing your questions.

1) what small/cheap flip phone model has the side buttons disabled when the keyboard is locked?

Answer: To view our available models, please click on this link: http://www.tracfone.com/phones.jsp and check the phones' details.

2) what is best procedure for transferring my #, days, and minutes from the old phone to a new one that has the same phone number i currently have? (looks like swapping SIM cards in not the best way...)

Answer: We can assist you here in Forum in transferring your service days, minutes and phone number from old phone to new. Just let us know. Thank you.
Jessica

Postby truman_coyote » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:46 pm

i just checked my phone (Samsung S390G) and this has happened 4 times over 6 months. I have never gotten a return call from any police dispatch though. The police here must see that it's a tracfone making the call so they assume it's a butt-dial.
truman_coyote

Next

Return to Samsung