Upgrading from one BYOP to new BYOP

Upgrading from one BYOP to new BYOP

Postby Alan234 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:00 pm

I'm a long-time experienced TracFone user, and around 2 years ago I started with my first BYOP. Now, I would like to upgrade my hardware, keeping absolutely everything else the same - my number, minutes, and other credits. Past experiences with new phones (always the same number for me) have had very mixed results. Now, I'm ordering my new phone and preparing for the upgrade process. This is about as simple as it gets, so I want to see if I can at last understand the online system enough for it to work without having to chat with support.

Question 1: Will I physically transfer my SIM card from the old phone to the new phone?

I have some backup SIM cards that I can break out for the new phone if this isn't an option. However, I cannot find anything that makes this clear on the website or otherwise.

Question 2: How will I do the transfer with the online system?

Here are the instructions that the website gives for this case of upgrading to a new phone in general, but keeping the same number:

ARE YOU TRANSFERRING SERVICE FROM YOUR CURRENT TRACFONE DEVICE?
To complete the Activation, you will need to:

Enter your NEW phone's serial number or SIM card number, if you purchased one.
Enter the phone number you are transferring.
Enter the last four digits of your current TracFone device's serial number or SIM card number.
Setup your phone.

I want to use this online system, but these instructions are not sufficiently specific. If looks like it's probably counting on me using a new SIM for the new phone, but I don't see why this should be the case.

Similar things have been asked on these forums before, such as viewtopic.php?f=6184&t=562096&p=1007182, but there is no content regarding the resolution of the issue. It's just a mystery to the public. I would like to have some actual helpful content here, so if I don't get anything but the canned robot response here (please just don't try), I hope to update after the transfer has finished to help other users.
Alan234

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general TracFone discussions.