Deleting of text messages without incurring charges

Deleting of text messages without incurring charges

Postby pnutkar » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:10 pm

I have upgraded my trusty LG441 flipper phone for a new Tracfone Alcatel TCL LX (A502DL, not included in the Phones section of the forum?). The old phone had a nice feature: I could highlight and delete offending robotexts with a "delete all" command in the menu. This was very nice since I didn't impact my minutes. This new phone is not so nice. I see others requesting the same advice.

How can I delete these message WITHOUT opening them and hitting my minutes??? Every deletion COSTS me 0.5 minutes! This is not an acceptable behavior, unless the intent is to of course burn through my minutes so I have to buy more. I don't want an "app" that scans texts or for which I must pay for service.

I reference these two responses in regards to robotexts, texts, and deleting:
tracfoneforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6180&t=569830&hilit=deleting+robo+text+messages
tracfoneforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6180&t=553643&hilit=deleting+text+messages
pnutkar

Re: Deleting of text messages without incurring charges

Postby TracFone - Larry » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:46 am

Hi pnutkar. I'm TracFone Larry. I apologize for the trouble this has caused you. Kindly tap Menu when you are in your Message Inbox and select Delete Message or Conversation. If you need further assistance, please check your forum inbox for a message. Click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your forum inbox. You may also text the key word HELP to 611611 to view our self-service menu with a list of help key words with valuable information. Thank you.
TracFone - Larry

Postby LindaCHU » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:46 am

A new phone brings new features and new ways of doing things.
Texts are deducted from your text balance as soon as they hit your messages box.
Regardless of whether they are read or not. :ugeek:
LindaCHU

Postby pnutkar » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:13 pm

I see that this is an unresolvable issue.

TracFone Larry: The process described incurs charges against my account. The point of my post, and the posts I referenced, is to delete robotexts and unwanted SMS without incurring a charge, as I was able to do with the LG441. To delete or block, the user MUST tap the text and THEN select a function from the menu (block, delete, mark as read).

User LindaCHU: Not really a helpful answer. Your "new way of doing things" is less efficient, and more expensive, than the previous way. The "cost" of a text is not "deducted as soon as it hits [my] message box"; they're deducted on read.
pnutkar

Postby TracFone - Larry » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:54 am

Hi pnutkar. I'm TracFone Larry. I apologize for the inconvenience. For Smartphone, it will be charged for incoming and outgoing SMS whether is it read or not. If you are receiving unsolicited text messages, we can help you change your phone number with no additional charge. If you need assistance, check your forum inbox for a message.
TracFone - Larry

Postby LindaCHU » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:31 pm

pnutkar wrote:I see that this is an unresolvable issue.
User LindaCHU: Not really a helpful answer. Your "new way of doing things" is less efficient, and more expensive, than the previous way. The "cost" of a text is not "deducted as soon as it hits [my] message box"; they're deducted on read.

That may be the way your flip phone worked, but it is not the way the Alcatel TCL works. :!:
Welcome to new technology. :mrgreen:
LindaCHU

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general TracFone discussions.