Voicemail notification not working correctly

Re: Voicemail notification not working correctly

Postby tomseys » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:09 am

The setting is located in the phone app (dialer). Open it, press on three dots on top right, choose settings.

Press calls, then voicemail.

The setting should be in there. A slider to enable VVM.

It is thought to see it you might need to have VVM enabled on your account. Might be something to look for next time you get VVM if buying data/time or whatever. People say it works great.

If you get VVM enabled, and have the native vvm app turned on, there may also be a VVM icon in the dialer app going across near the top.
My Phones: Tracfone iPhone 6S, Tracfone iPhone SE and Tracfone Samsung J3 Luna Pro
tomseys

Postby Aura » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Yea, that's how I thought - I also read that was the way to get to VVM settings, but I don't have it, damn

But as I went to look - I have a feature on the LG, that is called "always on display" for messages or notifications, I think its better than just a LED notification light, because it shows any icon for any notification and also shows the time and date and battery %.

It's actually not always on because when you put it in your pocket it shuts off, and then when you take it out you just look at it to see if you have any notifications or just the time.

Anyway, as I went to look for the VVM settings as you showed here, I looked at the display and only the time was showing but not the date or battery % - so I tried to get into the phone and something similar to a "bootloop" started to happen and I freaked (since this is a new phone (Sept 7, 1018 - 5 months and 1 week old) - so I quicky long pressed the power button to restart and it seems ok for now, BUT I might be having more than a VVM problem, lol :cry:

It's a $700 dollar phone - I got for $350 at Best Buy = it's actually a year and a half old phone when I bought it (but actually build recently), but I knew that at the time and the Specs were very good, so I bought it.

I'm in a conundrum :geek:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Aura

Postby tomseys » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:25 pm

You may want to check out Howard Forums and Turk Forums. A lot of very knowledgeable folks there.
My Phones: Tracfone iPhone 6S, Tracfone iPhone SE and Tracfone Samsung J3 Luna Pro
tomseys

Postby pippercat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:51 pm

After several frustrating phone calls and repeating the same steps over and over (and telling them that I've already done all of this)... and being told that there is no tier 3, 4 or higher techs - that I was speaking to the only techs they have... AND that there is no such thing as standard basic voicemail (cough... bullshit... cough)... they each had me uninstall VVM, turn off wifi and turn on mobile data so my phone would reinstall VVM. The techs assured me that it would still work with mobile data OFF and wifi ON... but it doesn't... er, at least not the way it's supposed to work. BUT, it works good enough for me in that it gives me an error message saying it can't connect right now whenever someone actually leaves me a message. I can live with that. At least I know that there is a message out there waiting for me, so I don't have to keep calling voicemail to see if a missed caller left me a message. The only problem with this is that you have to remember to swipe that error message away so that you'll get the same message the next time someone leaves you a message.

So, if you really don't want to mess around with calling them, explaining it all over and over, humoring them by uninstalling/reinstalling and all that jazz, and getting generally pissed off... just to obtain the 6-digit PIN... just install VVM and be done with it... and be happy that you at least get some sort of notification that there's a voicemail out there for you. It's pretty stupid that we have to go through this much hassle just to get voicemail to work right. :(
pippercat

Postby TracFone - Larry » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:40 am

Hi pippercat. I'm TracFone Larry. We apologize for the trouble this has caused you. To further assist you, please check your forum inbox for a message. Click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your forum inbox. You may also text the key word HELP to 611611 to view our self-service menu with a list of help key words with valuable information. Thank you.
TracFone - Larry

Postby tomseys » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:51 am

pippercat wrote:After several frustrating phone calls and repeating the same steps over and over (and telling them that I've already done all of this)... and being told that there is no tier 3, 4 or higher techs

Yeah so what you need is a number to the tier three support group.. who will have definitely heard of the tier three support group. The number should come with a reference pin. Maybe Tracfone Larry can hook you up or you can request in the online chat. I've changed my VVM to basic VM over a dozen times using it. Occasionally I get a rep who is clueless (and that can be frustrating), but this is pretty rare. It's easy to tell you have someone like that since they don't understand what you want to do right away which requires they just enable the basic vm on your account from their computer screen. It only takes a minute or two to do. If I get someone like that I just say thanks and call again. But you do need the right number since only tier three support/corporate office manager has the tools to do it.

If when you call they haven't heard of tier three support or the Tracfone corporate office, or are not tier three support, then you got the wrong number or wrong connection and are probably just calling the normal support line.
tomseys

Postby _j_ » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:30 am

I finally found this forum after seeing everyone elsewhere on the web trying different things in attempt to get notifications back. After trying numerous options, I finally did a factory reset on my phone thinking that maybe this would help. No luck. The first person I chatted with yesterday afternoon told me that they would reset my voicemail, that I would lose any messages that were left, and that I should wait 15 minutes and then try again. I was also told that I would receive an update that I received a text from Tracfone about in mid-February. I waited, more than half an hour, received no update, and the only thing that had changed on my voicemail was the pin; all the messages were still there.

The next person I chatted with had me dial *73 and told me that someone would call me back in 15 minutes.
Then I got a call back from someone announcing themselves as being from StraightTalk, and didn’t appear to know what issue I was experiencing. This person then said they were transferring me to Tracfone.

The person I spoke to there, ?Aradiline?, told me that, after receiving the notifications for years, I could not receive voicemail notifications unless I had visual voicemail. I have a Galaxy Sky S320VL and have no native visual voice mail app. She told me that I would find it at the Google Play store. (Don’t believe that it is available for versions of Android earlier that 8; I have 6.0.1) When I couldn’t find it, she then told me, in effect, that I would have to find a third-party app. She also told me that there was no one else that I could speak to, that she was the manager, and the she could not connect me to a higher tier.

When I go to my voicemail, I too, am missing the administrative option to turn the message waiting indicator on/off. Tracfone Larry could you please help me get my visual voice mail disabled?
_j_

Postby _j_ » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Update:

I noticed I had a pin and with the phone number tomseys mentioned from my very first chat. I was told that they were not tier 3 and that they only had the ability to disable voicemail entirely, not just visual voicemail. I told them that I would wait to see if I got a response here.
_j_

Postby Aura » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:21 am

:geek:
After talking to tier 3 tech support (many times) - This is the text message "Fix Code" Tracfone sends when they provision us back to Basic Voicemail:

Fix Code:
//VZWVVM:STATUS:rc=2;st=U;vmg_url=https://vmg.vzw.com/VMGIMS/VMServices

and it's From: 900080006204

CHALLENGE:
If someone can figure out how we can send ourselves this Fix Code from that specific number shown above, then we might be self provisioning our own tracfone back to Basic Voicemail ;)

side note:
I had also read recently that Verizon stopped using Visual Voicemail on 7/8/2016 (https://www.windowscentral.com/verizon- ... ect-phones) so why are WE receiving these wrong gibberish VVM text messages when we should only be getting a Voicemail notification icon and a notification to tap on to go to our voicemail?!
Attachments
Tracfone VVM Fix Code back to Basic VM.jpg
The "Fix Code" Tracfone sends us when they provision us back to Basic Voicemail
Tracfone VVM Fix Code back to Basic VM.jpg (122.26 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Aura

Postby tomseys » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:36 am

Aura wrote::geek:
After talking to tier 3 tech support (many times) - This is the text message "Fix Code" Tracfone sends when they provision us back to Basic Voicemail:

Fix Code:
//VZWVVM:STATUS:rc=2;st=U;vmg_url=https://vmg.vzw.com/VMGIMS/VMServices

and it's From: 900080006204

side note:
I had also read recently that Verizon stopped using Visual Voicemail on 7/8/2016 (https://www.windowscentral.com/verizon- ... ect-phones) so why are WE receiving these wrong gibberish VVM text messages when we should only be getting a Voicemail notification icon and a notification to tap on to go to our voicemail?!

I don't believe I have received that code in a text message or any text message at all (as far as I recall) when I've had my VVM removed and Basic VM re-enabled. Maybe because I have a factory installed VVM app.

That article about Verizon visual voicemail is talking about paid VVM I think in reference to certain phones like the defunct Windows phones but Verizon still does have basic voicemail, normal VVM and paid premium VVM.

Comparison of the basic and visual voicemail they offer:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support ... omparison/

It does state here that VVM is not available for prepaid plans (I guess Tracfone is not considered this) https://www.verizonwireless.com/support ... mail-faqs/

Us receiving VVM seems to be connected to the provisioning of voLTE. They seem like a package deal in that when your phone gets voLTE activated assuming it is voLTE capable, you get VVM. If you don't have a VVM app, but have VVM active on your account, you get the garbled text messages when you get a VVM. You can get VVM removed and basic voicemail reinstated via tier three support and not lose voLTE. But there are things that will kill your basic voicemail and bring back VVM including in my experience:

1). Transferring to a new sim and phone.
2). Buying data or any plan that includes data. (buying minutes only or texts will not trigger VVM: it is data that does it)
3). Getting voLTE provisioned if you should lose the setting somehow or just in general.
tomseys

PreviousNext

Return to Post your questions and get answers about talking and texting, and setting up voicemail with your TracFone.