Samsung s390g WIFI

Re: Samsung s390g WIFI

Postby TGMarshall » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:57 pm

rfrench34
Tracfone and I are still PMing back and forth without a resolution. Are you having any better luck?

Tom
TGMarshall

Postby Jessica » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi TGMarshall. You may now reply to the private message received. Thank you.
Jessica

Postby ouija » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi, Jessica. This is one of the online phones I'm looking at buying for my aunt. I'm slightly offtopic here, but someone mentioned firmware updates.

Qs:

1. Have there been any firmware updates at all for this phone or does the Tracfone contract with Samsung not provide any?

2. If your Samsung contract does not provide for firmware updates, how about your contract with LG?

3. Also, please post public about this bug with the wifi disabled delete after 11 entries. I doubt this will be a problem for my disabled aunt, but it will be an indication to me of the quality of the firmware.

Thanks again.
ouija

Postby Jessica » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:09 pm

Hi TGMarshall. Your concern has already been addressed. Thank you for your patience. Should you have any concerns with your TracFone service, please let us know. Thank you.
Jessica

Postby TGMarshall » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:36 pm

rfrench34 & others,
Tracfone is replacing my phone. I should receive it in 3 to 5 days. They still have made no mention on firmware upgrades or any reason why the new phone won't have the same issue. I don't know if I'll be receiving a new or reconditioned phone. A new phone may have new firmware??? Maybe I can see a difference once I get my hands on it. I'll post my impressions.

Tom
TGMarshall

Postby kerstuff » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:18 pm

TGMarshall wrote:rfrench34 & others,
Tracfone is replacing my phone. I should receive it in 3 to 5 days. They still have made no mention on firmware upgrades or any reason why the new phone won't have the same issue. I don't know if I'll be receiving a new or reconditioned phone. A new phone may have new firmware??? Maybe I can see a difference once I get my hands on it. I'll post my impressions.

Tom

TGMarshall, rfrench34 & others,

I have the Samsung s390g phone and there are NO firmware updates. If you will go to the Samsung site, download the New PC Studio software, for free, and it will help you alot. It has a feature to upgrade the phone and when you do, it says that they are not eligible for upgrade. Now the software is great for music, calender and phone book. I highly recommend it.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SGH-S390CSATFN?tabContent=content2
kerstuff

Postby TGMarshall » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:33 pm

kerstuff wrote:
TGMarshall wrote:rfrench34 & others,

Tom

TGMarshall, rfrench34 & others,

I have the Samsung s390g phone and there are NO firmware updates. If you will go to the Samsung site, download the New PC Studio software, for free, and it will help you alot. It has a feature to upgrade the phone and when you do, it says that they are not eligible for upgrade. Now the software is great for music, calender and phone book. I highly recommend it.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SGH-S390CSATFN?tabContent=content2

Kerstuff,
Yes, I have used Samsung's New PC Studio too. I took the "NO firmware update" to mean that Samsung would not supply it because it was customized for Tracfone and therefore Tracfone would have to supply it. All customer support for this phone is the responsibility of Tracfone. Too bad I've gotten no technical support from Tracfone and how they will address this bug.

Buy the way PC Studio is great for transferring you contact into from your Address Book to the phone.

Tom
TGMarshall

Postby TGMarshall » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:41 pm

To all,
I received my replacement S390G today. It's a reconditioned phone like the others I bought. I have no reason to believe that the firmware is any different than my other phones. It most likely has the same bug of not being able to delete old/bad WiFi configurations once the phone is full with 11 configs.

I first found this bug when trying to connect to one of my routers. Even though I repetitively entered my password correctly it would not connect. After it saved the configuration I could not edit or delete it, but only try again with the same password. After 11 attempts I could not save more or delete all or any of them. I found a workaround with my second phone. After entering the Password, DO NOT hit the soft key Save, but instead hit the enter/carriage return key. Success, it connected. In any case if it won't connect do not kept trying! Apparently, you can only delete configurations that worked while you within range of that router. MAKE SURE you delete that config when you're done using it BEFORE you get out of range.

From a practical point I don't plan to use WiFi much. Surfing with the 2 inch screen gets old quick. Even with this bug this phone has a lot of great features like. Triple minutes, 3G, Ext SD Card, MP3 player, and Blue Tooth/USB connectivity to you PC. Some have complained of butt dialing 911, but although possible I find it highly unlikely. Best of all I've got 2 of these phone for free when buying a 60 minute card from Tracfone. Yes, they are reconditioned, but they all have been "like new". A $50 phone for free and no you don't have to activate them to use WiFi. If you don't like the phone you can use the card with any other phone.

If you been following this thread you know that rfrench and I have been dancing with Tracfone for the last 2 weeks attempting to get a fix to this problem. Technically, Tracfone customer service is lacking. They seem to do well with common questions which you could probably answer yourself with a little googling. They have been responsive as far as sending me a new SIM card and now a phone, but answering a simple question like, "How do I find what firmware revision is in my phone?" they don't respond. I got no feeling that anyone at Tracfone has even picked up a S390G to verify our problem??? For this reason I give them a grade of "C" at best.

Overall, I've been a Tracfone customer for 3 years and plan to continue to stick with them.

Tom
TGMarshall

Postby jimbobbie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:02 pm

I just found this in samsungs fourm, i don't have the phone yet, could someone try this?

If you are driving around with your phone and have the Wi-Fi on you will get a list of hotspots make sure the wi-fi is not on and when you do turn it on select options & click on refresh. If you do not have any hotspots when you turn on wi-fi your list of names will be blank. If it is a secure network and you do not want to use that secure network again you click on that name then select options and click on delete.

thx
jimbobbie

Postby Sawmiller » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Same refurbished phone, same wifi problem as the OP. I ordered 3 refurbs from the tracfone website and received them 4 days ago. Began the phone number porting process today and found that one phone has no room for another wifi connection and I can't delete the 11 already stored on the phone.

Please help with this situation as I require either a solution or a replacement.
Sawmiller

PreviousNext

Return to Accessing websites and other Web discussions.